Monday 1 August 2011

In which I regret not being John Hegley

I'm reducing Hesfes to its component parts
By which I mean not only:
Taking down the tent and
Packing away the camping table,
The water containers, the mess tins
And the enamel plates and mugs;
Nor packing *all* the clothes,
Both worn and unworn for washing
Because it was so damp,
But also the bandanas and the copper bowls
And the friendships bracelets
And the friendships. That moment of
Spark as your mind meets another,
Joy explodes in the pleasure of like and like.
I'm taking with me addresses and phone numbers
And promises to see you again next year,
Intentions to do more, see more,
Take more photos, have *even* more fun.
Hannah dancing and still dancing,
Her temper in check, despite interruption,
All the very talented children,
Long conversations over coffee
Being roped to the chair by the dog
And after all that,
A little bit of envy that I am not
In fact John Hegley!

1 comment: