Tuesday 16 October 2012

In which nothing special happens

I'm determined this time to write even when it's just a day and nothing much happens...although whether I will hold myself to that on the days she does nothing but watch cartoons remains to be seen.

Today was a work day for me. I'm doing two half-days a week at the moment. Hannah asked me if I would set her work to do while I'm out so what happens is that I write a list of things on a white board and leave anything she needs for it out on the table. She's not under any pressure to finish it and if she needs help that DH is unable to provide, she can just wait. And as always, life is welcome to intervene!

Today she did two pages in a literacy workbook and about half a sheet of division sums before she and DH went over to his sister's.  While she was there, she read some of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which she has just started. I've made myself stay hands-off where reading is concerned. Reading is my passion; it's as necessary to me as eating or breathing, but she is not me and I don't want her to feel under any pressure to read. I do wish she could discover the pleasure of getting lost in a story and not  wanting to  put it down and I hope that will happen now she is reading better stories. I have no problem with her reading the formulaic series of books about puppies or dinosaurs, but  they are pretty predictable and the characters are not particularly well-developed so there's no incentive to read on, either to find out what happens or because you care about the characters.

However, now she is onto the later Harry Potter books, I am going to have to encourage more daytime reading or she will never get through them at all. I think I'll probably get them on kindle for her as well..she will never manage to  read Order of the Phoenix in physical form!

She's also learnt how to pay a cheque into the bank today. How useful that will be in future I don't know..probably by the time she is managing her own  bank account cheques won't exist, but she gets a kick out of doing grown up things.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good day. My son s only 5 but every time i go to the bank he fills out a paying in slip with his name and some made up amounts and politly asks the staff to stamp it .He loves it when they say "there you go charlie!"...life skills...xxx

    ReplyDelete