Saturday 11 February 2012

In which we catch up after some busy days

I started off yet another intention to write every day; it was good when I did that. I didn't the purely self-inflicted pressure to write something "interesting". Then it can be just a little ramble through our life, mainly for my own pleasure and if anyone else cares to read....good. You're all welcome.


Anyway, Thursday we went to the Science Museum with a small group of parents and children from my favourite Facebook home ed group, Learning Under the Trees. I'm not very good at recognising faces so apart from Tammie, I had no idea who I was waiting for, but am fairly blessed in being the sort of person who doesn;t find it hard to bounce up to random strangers and start chatting. While I was chatting with Janis, Hannah quickly made friends with her son, Nathan. An animatronic dog playing with an iPad, it transpires, is a really good ice breaker! Once Charlotte and Davinia and their families had arrived, we set off for a leisurely wander through the first gallery en route to the Launchpad. And that was that really.
By the time we got up there, Hannah had acquired another new friend in Abigail, no doubt attracted by a similarly funky sense of style and I was able to relax and chat while she went off and had fun. It was fairly quiet as we seemed to have hit the time when the morning school groups were at lunch and the afternoon groups yet to arrive! After lunch we went back there but by then it was massively crowded so we meandered round some other galleries (never been into that history of medical machines bit before and am so relieved I don;t need to be in an iron lung). Naturally there was shopping and goes on the simulator rides. I really wanted the genetics and DNA kit but at £25, no way! Wonder if Helen can get those in the shop????

There was an interesting incident on the way home. One of Hannah's new acquisitions was a tin of "science putty" and she was playing with it on the tube. As we stopped at a station, a piece of it fell out the door and I could see that Hannah's body instinctively went forward as if she was going to get out after it, but she stopped herself. It was quite fascinating, especially in light of all the work on the brain we've been doing, to see that her cognitive development has got to the point that she has impulse control!


Friday is art class. We managed to fit in some spelling and did some maths and literacy on Education City, then went off to Hertford for her lesson, where they finished off  the work they had been doing on cakes. Sadly not real ones, but a still life painting of small cakes and a large papier mache cupcake. I love this class; she has made some amazing things at it; my personal favourite so far is a terracotta warrior in clay, painted as the originals would have been. Will have to try to source some sort of work to provide her with background now. Afterwards I took her friends home and they had a short time to play, then we came home, ate some dinner.

In the evening we were out again, to see a production of Hairspray at the local senior school she will not be attending! A friend's brother was in it so her parents had got us tickets. Wow! I knew a lot of the cast, either because they go to Hannah's drama school or because they had come from the primary school I used to work at and it added to the excitment.  But it was really really well done and some incredible talents. The girl playing Miss Motormouth was mind-blowing. I absolutely believed that she had had a life full of suffering the indiginities and injustice of segregation and it brought tears to my eyes.

I didn;t know the story before we went which is a shame, it would have been good to do some work before hand on the civil rights movement etc, but Hannah always seems to be more motivated to follow up after the event than prepare before so will do something this week.

Today has been quiet, got up late and we have a friend sleeping over.

No comments:

Post a Comment