Saturday 18 February 2012

In which I make a plan

Mondays are apt to run away from me unless I do some forward planning. When I just have Hannah at home, the question, "what shall we do today?" is enough to start her off, sometimes according to the theoretical timetable and sometimes not, but when we also have her friend L which we do every Monday, it works better if I organise something on which they can work in a cooperative way. They are as intensely competitive as if they had been siblings and have such different strengths that a project in which they can take on different roles works well.

Usually I try to tie that in with something topical as they have such very different interests. This week it revolves round pancake day. So far I have this planned: make a very simple lapbook about pancake day (or at least start it) with info on why we celebrate it, how it is celebrated in different countries, etc. Make buns filled with whipped cream as they do in Denmark and Sweden. Have a pancake race. Make a mask or headdress for carnival.

We shall see!

First though, we have to have a hamster funeral. L's hamster died and they don't have a garden so we said they could bring Barney to join the rodent graveyard here.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah, I thought I had your email address but apparently not. I'm just doing the bills, at the moment I'm thinking I probably won't be able to afford to bring Cora as well. However I can see what happens nearer the time, if things change I can just buy her tickets as well. :) Shame, I think she would love it!

    ReplyDelete