Friday 20 May 2011

Why do people worry so much...

....about home educated children being isolated and not seen by anyone outside their family. Chance would be a fine bloody thing. Yet another day when we barely stopped to let our bottoms touch a seat.

First up, need to report than despite an almost total lack of sleep, Hannah had a fantastic time at her sleepover and seems to have grown even more attached to her friend. I am pretty proud of how well she mixed with children who all knew each other while she knew no-one but her friend and her friend's sister. Not only that, but she says she was really cold all night. I asked why she didn;t wear her thick fleecy dressing gown. She had lent it to another girl who had thin cotton pjs on, while Hannah's were fleece. She is sometimes surprisingly generous. And it is particularly satisifying to see it in this situation because her friend's mum has been fairly vocal in her views that only children are difficult and don;t know how to share. Some of them do, see!

So an early night was called for last night and she was up earlier than usual this morning, just in time to come shopping with me. I'm sure it annoyed a lot of people waiting behind us that she scanned our shopping on the self-checkout while I bagged them. Yes, she was slower than I would have been, but I believe in letting her help. Home and then she did some games on the Times Spelling Bee and Science Monster websites while I unpacked the shopping.

I decided that as we had a lot of errands to run, it wasn't worth starting anything major so Hannah and her friend L just listened to music and checked their animals on a safari park game they both play until it was time to go out for lunch. I had a small windfall yesterday so treated everyone to lunch at our favourite cafe (and myself to a break from making 4 different lunches!). The girls now sit at a different table, place their own orders and pay for their meal themselves (with my money obviously LOL) so felt a bit as though DH and I were on a date! Immediately after lunch we had to go to drop off the deposit fee for a safety awareness course she is booked on, home via the library to change our books, then after a brief break, off to drama school.

From there, L's mum dropped her at my mum's where she is sleeping tonight because I have been out at An Audience with Jean M Auel, one of my favourite authors. In person, she was lovely. All her books have been massive bestsellers and yet, 30-odd years after the first came out she seemed genuinely delighted to see such a good crowd there. I liked the way she spoke with more enthusiasm about her children, frequently and with such obvious love, than about her books or fictional babies. When I went to get her autograph I told her I had been reading her books since I was about 14 and I can;t kid myself it isn;t obvious that's a long time and she grasped my hand and shook it with a real warmth. I came away buzzing! Not only do I love her books, I really like *her*

No comments:

Post a Comment